SAUERKRAUT (FERMENTED CABBAGE)
Prep Time: 45 mins
Jar Size: 1 quart/.9L
- 2 ¾ lbs. red or green cabbage, shredded
- 1 tsp. Caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp. pepper (freshly ground is best)
- 1 Tbs. ginger root, freshly grated
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic, fresh
- 4 bay leaves, crushed
- 1 TBS. Celtic Sea Salt® or other premium brand
Fermentation Instructions for Sauerkraut
- Sprinkle salt over cabbage in bowl. Traditional sauerkraut is made by drawing out the liquid in the cabbage to create the brine – not by adding liquid to the recipe. Two easy methods are to pound the cabbage with a one-piece rolling pin held vertically or by massaging the cabbage with your hands. This is similar to kneading dough but is basically just squeezing the cabbage repeatedly. It should only take approximately 10-15 minutes but this depends on the freshness of your cabbage. NOTE: Red cabbage can sometimes be drier than green heads. If too little brine is formed after squeezing and pressing, add just enough filtered water to establish a brine.
- After a generous brine has formed, add in the Caraway, pepper, ginger, garlic, and crushed bay leaves.
- Load a clean 1 quart jar with the mixture, tamping and submerging the mixture after each addition. When well-packed with 1/2 inch of space remaining at the top, pour in any additional liquid left in bowl.
- Clean off any veggie/seasoning debris from jar rim to ensure good seal.
- Press brine overflow cup into jar.
- Seal with Perfect Pickler® lid and gasket until just hand snug. (TIP: you may want to do this with jar in your sink as some brine may spill over). Review quick video if further instruction is needed.
- Pour tap water into airlock to the max line and gently twist into lid.
- Place in cool location (68-74 degrees) and wait patiently for 4 days! Test to see if sour enough for your liking or test with our pH strips; pH should be 4.7 or below. Sauerkraut can take 6-10 days to reach full flavor and this recipe will continue to develop deeper, richer flavors over the next several weeks (if you can wait that long!)
***Purchase Perfect Pickler kits at amazon.com or click here.
Eat with intent today,
Tammy Schack, Young Living Gold